What’s new in PC-DMIS 2020 R2
Get the most out of your metrology hardware with the latest version of PC-DMIS
PC-DMIS 2020 R2 is the latest release of Hexagon’s world-leading dimensional measurement software package for a multitude of metrology equipment types, from coordinate measuring machines (CMMs) to portable arms and scanners
PC-DMIS 2020 R2
The latest version of PC-DMIS continues to lead the way in revolutionising measurement. In this latest release, we have a number of new capabilities, but we are most excited about our integration with our new HxGN SFx | Asset Management solution and new Geometric Tolerance Command that complies with the latest AMSE and ISO standards.
SFx Asset Management integration
PC-DMIS 2020 R2 now integrates fully with the HxGN SFx | Asset Management solution. This solution delivers a simple, accurate way to monitor and analyse how key assets are performing via a centralised, secure, user-friendly dashboard, whether assets are on a single site or in multiple factories around the world. As the data is collected and web-hosted, it can be accessed on a browser on any mobile device. This means that the Quality Manager can see instantly how efficiently assets are being used, plus any downtime and event notifications. This enables them to make data-driven decisions in real-time. The Routine Detail View enables users to drill down into a detailed view of a specific routine, including Process Information, Routine Measurement, Results and Routine History. PC-DMIS users with an SMA also receive instant event notifications about specific Routines (for Started / Completed / Paused / Cancelled / Error / Dimension Failed) on all assets. Events are logged for later analysis.
New: 3D PDF
This flexible reporting capability has been the #1 request by our customers through Idea Center. Currently, the Quality Engineer needs to print out numerous pages of the report showing a variety of part orientations for the report readers as the Engineer tries to ensure all the information is visible. This is time-consuming and annoying. 3D PDF allows the Engineer to digitally share the report easily, and any user can rotate the part to access the information that is important to them.
Improved: Pointcloud Select Operator
The Pointcloud SELECT function has been updated to provide enhanced selection and visual capabilities when working with pointcloud data. The tools have been expanded to include new Mesh SELECT and RESET functions.
- The Pointcloud Select function has four selection methods: Box, Circle, Sphere and Polygon.
- Once the selection is made you can change the shape/size by clicking and dragging the edge of the box, circle or sphere. Or click and drag the control points of the polygon.
- Move the selection position by clicking and dragging the center control point.
- The box selection can be rotated by clicking and dragging a corner.
By default a selection is 3D, extending though the data normal to the view. You can click and drag one of the center depth endpoints to control the depth of the selection. To help identify which points of the cloud or mesh triangles are selected, the selected data is highlighted.
The pointcloud and mesh polygon selection can now be quickly closed by double-clicking.
A new ‘Front Facing’ option has been added for Pointcloud and Mesh selections. This allows you to select only the points that are front facing in the selection view. When you disable this check box, PC-DMIS selects the points that are in both the front and rear facing views.
A new Mesh SELECT function has been added which allows you to select triangles which are strictly inside or outside the Polygon selection area. The Mesh Select uses a Polygon method. You can re-size, move and change the selection depth as described above. Front facing option is also supported.
A new Mesh RESET command restores the mesh data object to its original state (similar to undo of all Mesh Select operations).
Improved: GD&T Selection from Capture V3
In 2019 R1 PC-DMIS introduced the revolutionary GD&T Selection from Capture that uses OCR technology to automate the process of importing GD&T data into the measurement program. In this version there has been a focus on improving user efficiency. The OCR engine has been overhauled, dramatically speeding up the OCR recognition process. The UX has been optimised for single monitor users, and the workflow through the feature has been made more flexible, allowing the user to jump to whatever page they like and process characteristics out of sequence, if required.
New: Set machine speed with Laser Stripe Spacing
Now you can control machine parameters by setting the fields you care about. Plus you can use the distance between laser stripes to set the machine speed, making it more intuitive to create the routine. This feature saves time for offline laser programmers and offers an intuitive approach for new Laser users.
A new ‘LaserStripeSpacing’ parameter has been added in the Motion tab of the Parameters Setting dialog. It allows the user to define the speed of the laser scan as a distance between the stripes and is an alternative to using the ‘Scan Speed’ parameter. When the new ‘LaserStripeSpacing’ command is present, subsequent commands will instead use this spacing to determine the laser scan speed
And over 30 additional new features and improvements, including:
- Show Active Colormap
- Laser Profile Command
- Non-Linear Colormap Scale
- Mesh Select and Reset Commands
- Plane Selection for 2D Laser Features
PC-DMIS 2020 R2 operates under 64-bit Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista. No other operating systems are supported.
- When you use third-party drivers, you should contact your local Manufacturing Intelligence representative to ensure operating system compatibility.
- Running PC-DMIS inside a Virtual Machine (VM) is supported only if the VM supports OpenGL 3 or higher.
- PC-DMIS Vision machines do not support 64-bit Windows 8. The Matrox Frame grabber PC-DMIS Vision hardware component does not support a 64-bit operating system.
Microsoft .NET Framework
If you do not have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 for Windows, the PC-DMIS installer will install it for you.
4 GB of RAM or higher
- The size of the CAD data file and the tessellation multiplier value used affect the amount of memory needed. These both affect the number of tessellated facets needed to display the model. The smaller the tessellation multiplier value used, the more memory needed for the facets. For large CAD models, this could cause an "Out of Memory" error. If this occurs, the current PC-DMIS session will be left in an unstable state and should be terminated.
- The default tessellation multiplier value is 1.0. Setting a tessellation multiplier of 0.1 will result in a 10 to 20 percent increase in the memory required over the default value of 1.0. Decreasing the tessellation multiplier further to 0.01 will result in an additional 50 to 65 percent increase of memory required.
1 GB of video RAM
2 GHz or higher quad core processor
Any popular graphics card that meets or exceeds the following suggested minimums:
- GPU Memory 2 GB DDR3*
- Memory Bandwidth 29.0 GB/s
- CUDA Cores 384
- Open GL 3.0
* For an RS4 laser sensor or later model, you need to have a GPU with at least 4 GB DDR3.
The graphics driver must support OpenGL 3.0 or higher. A warning message appears on PC-DMIS start-up if the driver does not support OpenGL 3.0 or if your graphics driver is more than three years old.
2 GB of free hard drive space plus allocated virtual memory of eight times the largest CAD file used.
SSD drive, HDD 10K, or two disks in RAID 0 mode (high-performance hard disk drive).
Screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 or higher.
Two Ethernet ports. This may be required for specific installations in consideration of local needs, including but not limited to CMM systems where one port is required for controller communications and another for intranet/internet communications.
Two USB ports
A properly-configured LMS license or a HASP key (a physical USB portlock)
Note: A HASP key does not act as general-purpose data storage; therefore, you cannot use a HASP key to store (download) arbitrary data from a computer. Similarly, you cannot use a HASP key to put (upload) arbitrary data on a computer. Also, only Hexagon applications can read or write to a HASP key; other applications do not have this capability. As a result, you cannot use a HASP key to load and unload data to and from a computer.
Internet Explorer 10 or later
Hexagon used the Sophos anti-virus tool to test PC-DMIS 2020 R2. The user will need to confirm the performance of any other anti-virus tool.
Solutions for CMMs using RS-232 communications
If you are installing PC-DMIS 2020 R2 on a new or existing computer, but you have an older CMM model that uses RS-232 communications, then you will need to install one of these solutions on your computer:
- An external RS-232 serial-to-USB adapter cable plus the serial-to-USB adapter cable driver
- An internal serial adapter card with serial ports