Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, a division of Hexagon Metrology, is seeking a Software Engineer, for our Williamsburg, Virginia location.
At Hexagon, we strive to help industrial manufacturers develop the disruptive technologies of today and the life-changing products of tomorrow. Our strength comes from our global footprint and enormous portfolio of advanced industrial sensors, measurement technologies, factory automation, simulation, and analytics tools.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for the planning, architecture, implementation, and testing of a variety of software solutions related to metrology, automation, and hardware interfacing.
Following agile development practices, the candidate will work with a small team of developers to maintain and improve functionality and user experience for several highly technical Windows-based software metrology applications implemented in C++/MFC. Fluency with object-oriented development principles, a high degree of spatial awareness, and an engineering or scientific background is essential. Experience with robotics and a strong foundation in mathematics including linear algebra, three-dimensional transformations, and numeric optimization methods is preferred, but strong desire to learn these skills can serve as a replacement for this requirement.
- Develop new customer requirements into well-architected software solutions with an eye on user experience
- Troubleshoot, test, and debug code that is not giving desired results
- Convert real-world concepts and ideas into actionable numeric algorithms in code
- Support existing long-term code bases
- Maintain or develop supporting tools such as software installers or other internal software tools
- Refactor existing code for improved maintainability
- Optimize code to improve performance or reduce computer resource use
- Work in a source-controlled team development environment, aware of the needs of teammates
- Prioritize time to focus on development goals
- May need to write software to interact with and control robots, peripherals, or portable metrology hardware devices such as probes, cameras, or other data acquisition devices
- Manage development work through a software development tracking database
- Communicate progress with product managers and make level-of-effort and timeline predictions for future development work
- Test with real-world hardware and analyze results to gauge correctness of algorithms and code
- Maintain currency with respect to technical skills by attending training classes, special technical and administration courses, independent research, seminars, exhibits and trade shows as needed
- Occasional travel to customers or face-to-face meetings with vendors or customers may be necessary
- BS or higher in Computer Science or a related discipline, or 3+ years of equivalent experience/skills
- Strong understanding of the Windows operating system ecosystem
- Fluency in Windows development: C++, Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) and Visual Studio
- Comfort with object-oriented software development techniques
- Experience with OpenGL programming
- Excellent instincts for developing a scalable and maintainable software architecture
- Strong drive to learn and self-educate
- Understanding of source control systems and agile development principles preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
At Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, our spirited energy and engagement are evident in our commitment to our work, passion for what we do and the speed by which we achieve it. Here you will find the opportunity to build your career, develop professionally, and explore opportunities across a large, diversified company that prides itself on its innovative spirit and commitment to integrity.
We strive to attract the most talented and dynamic individuals in their fields because our success is in our people! Our culture encourages independent thinking and a team mentality. And we offer a competitive benefits package that’s second to none!
Exceptional medical, dental, vision insurances
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
401k with employer match
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
Training Opportunities…and so much more!
At this time, we will consider applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship. No relocation. Hexagon Metrology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer ► M/F/Vet/Disability ► E-Verify Participant