6D measurement of engine motion in vehicle testing
6D measurement of engine motions is carried out with EngineWatch. The system is applied both on the test track and at the test bench. Dynamic testing is made more efficient, while the measurements are much more accurate than with mechanical systems.
Mounted on a fixture above the engine compartment, the high-speed camera directly focuses the engine block. The camera consists of a high resolution CMOS sensor, an integrated high performance flash, and an image analysis processor. With a frequency of 500 Hz at full resolution, the camera features extremely short shutter speeds of just a few micro-seconds. It also ensures the system is robust and long-term stable, which is necessary for long-duration tests.
The measuring principle is based on the detection of relative movements of two solid bodies. Reference targets are placed on the engine block and on the car body, so that the camera focuses both targets at the same time.
Setup and calibration of the system take less than 30 minutes. The position of the camera in relation to the engine block does not need to be stable as the system references itself continuously using the reference targets. Camera movements do mot influence the measuring results either.
The measuring images are analysed in the sensor. Thus, only the digital data are transferred to the notebook computer in real time, not the entire images. EngineWatch calculates the positions of the measuring points in X, Y, Z, and the rotation angle (alpha, beta, gamma) as absolute values in the vehicle coordinate system. For the presentation of the results, a path-time-diagram is created showing the X, Y, Z movements in the vehicle coordinate system. In order to visualize the measured movements in a CAD system, the measuring results can be exported to post-processing software via an interface.
- 6-DOF measurements of movements in real time
- High measuring frequency of up to 490Hz at unlimited measuring time
- Measuring results are shown as absolute values in vehicle coordinate system
- Used for test drive and test station
- Short setup time
- High accuracies
- No mechanical connection between sensor and engine block
- Camera mount does not need high stability
- High-speed camera also applicable for motion analysis of any other object, i.e. not only for vehicle testing applications
- Extendable for other static and dynamic measuring tasks
- MoveInspect basic system with high-speed camera
- Mounting frame
- Accessory set including targets
- Syncbox for 1 - 4 cameras (cascadable)
- Controlling computer with EngineWatch software
- Calibration panel with transportation case
|Operating system||Microsoft© Windows© 7 (64 Bit)|
|Power supply||Test drive: 12 V vehicle power system; Test station: 90 - 240 V|
|Max. acquisition frequency||500 Hz|
|Synchronization||Digital time stamp / Master/slave mode, Clock / Enable IN/OUT (TTL o. 20 mA Loop)|
|EngineWatch data set||X,Y,Z, alpha, beta, gamma, number of picture, time stamp (ASCII format)|
|Measuring volume (X, Y, Z)||1,000 x 1,000 x 500 mm|
|Accuracy XYZ / angular accuracy||± 0.1 mm / ± 0.015°|
Technical data subject to change without notice.