Engineering, United States
Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, a division of Hexagon Metrology, is seeking a Software Engineer, for our Williamsburg, Virginia location.
At Hexagon, we strive to help industrial manufacturers develop the disruptive technologies of today and the life-changing products of tomorrow. Our strength comes from our global footprint and enormous portfolio of advanced industrial sensors, measurement technologies, factory automation, simulation, and analytics tools.
The Software Engineer will be responsible for the planning, architecture, implementation, and testing of a variety of software solutions related to metrology, automation, and hardware interfacing.
Following agile development practices, the candidate will work with a small team of developers to maintain and improve functionality and user experience for several highly technical Windows-based software metrology applications implemented in C++/MFC. Fluency with object-oriented development principles, a high degree of spatial awareness, and an engineering or scientific background is essential. Experience with robotics and a strong foundation in mathematics including linear algebra, three-dimensional transformations, and numeric optimization methods is preferred, but strong desire to learn these skills can serve as a replacement for this requirement.
- Develop new customer requirements into well-architected software solutions with an eye on user experience
- Troubleshoot, test, and debug code that is not giving desired results
- Convert real-world concepts and ideas into actionable numeric algorithms in code
- Support existing long-term code bases
- Maintain or develop supporting tools such as software installers or other internal software tools
- Refactor existing code for improved maintainability
- Optimize code to improve performance or reduce computer resource use
- Work in a source-controlled team development environment, aware of the needs of teammates
- Prioritize time to focus on development goals
- May need to write software to interact with and control robots, peripherals, or portable metrology hardware devices such as probes, cameras, or other data acquisition devices
- Manage development work through a software development tracking database
- Communicate progress with product managers and make level-of-effort and timeline predictions for future development work
- Test with real-world hardware and analyze results to gauge correctness of algorithms and code
- Maintain currency with respect to technical skills by attending training classes, special technical and administration courses, independent research, seminars, exhibits and trade shows as needed
- Occasional travel to customers or face-to-face meetings with vendors or customers may be necessary
- MS or higher in Computer Science or a related discipline, or 8+ years of equivalent experience/skills
- Strong understanding of the Windows operating system ecosystem
- Fluency in Windows development: C++, Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) and Visual Studio
- Comfort with object-oriented software development techniques
- Experience with OpenGL programming
- Excellent instincts for developing a scalable and maintainable software architecture
- Strong drive to learn and self-educate
- Understanding of source control systems and agile development principles preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
At Hexagon Manufacturing Intelligence, our spirited energy and engagement are evident in our commitment to our work, passion for what we do and the speed by which we achieve it. Here you will find the opportunity to build your career, develop professionally, and explore opportunities across a large, diversified company that prides itself on its innovative spirit and commitment to integrity.
We strive to attract the most talented and dynamic individuals in their fields because our success is in our people! Our culture encourages independent thinking and a team mentality. And we offer a competitive benefits package that’s second to none!
Exceptional medical, dental, vision insurances
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
401k with employer match
Generous Paid Time Off (PTO)
Training Opportunities…and so much more!
At this time, we will consider applicants who are legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship. No relocation. Hexagon Metrology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer ► M/F/Vet/Disability ► E-Verify Participant
Information you submit as part of your application must be true, accurate, complete and not misleading. You understand that any false or misleading statements or omissions made by you during the application process, including your application and interviews, may be sufficient cause to justify the rejection of your application or, if you have already become an employee, the immediate termination of your employment, subject to due process.
When you provide us with information about any other third party as part of the recruitment process (e.g. referees) then, before providing us with such information, you must inform the relevant individuals that you will disclose their personal data to us and provide a copy of this notice to them.
We will only process your personal data for the specific purpose of processing and managing your application. In particular we process candidates’ personal data to:
- Undertake recruitment activities, such as determining the suitability of a candidate’s qualifications.
- Assist us in managing external providers. (e.g. recruitment agencies)
- Manage our HR records and Update the Hexagon employee database.
- Reply to an official request from a public or judicial authority with the necessary authorisation.
- Comply with any legal obligation imposed on Hexagon in relation to its recruitment practice.
It is our policy to retain your details for 12 months during which your candidacy will be assessed against other potential opportunities. Prior to the expiration of that 12 month period you will be notified of the impending deletion and you will be given a choice to remain on our database for a further 12 months. At any time during the recruitment process you can request your data to be deleted from our database. You are always able to apply to any position advertised by Hexagon once more.
Note: in some countries we are legally obliged to keep your information for a longer period to comply with governmental reporting. In these cases we will be unable to delete your full details from our records.
Hexagon is a global leader in sensor, software and autonomous solutions. We are putting data to work to boost efficiency, productivity, and quality across industrial, manufacturing, infrastructure, safety, and mobility applications.
Our technologies are shaping urban and production ecosystems to become increasingly connected and autonomous – ensuring a scalable, sustainable future.
Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division provides solutions that utilise data from design and engineering, production and metrology to make manufacturing smarter.
Note: in some countries we are legally obliged to keep your information for a longer period to comply with governmental reporting. In these cases, we will be unable to delete your full details from our records.
ACCOMMODATIONS FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES
Hexagon Metrology, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 1-800-766-46731-800-766-4673 FREE for assistance.
“We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.”